At CDN Controls Ltd., our mission is to be an industry leader in all facets of our business. An important part of this mission involves working with Indigenous communities in the areas we operate. For us, being an industry leader in this field means listening carefully, building trust, and working collaboratively to develop mutually beneficial relationships with Indigenous communities and peoples throughout Western Canada.
We focus our work with Indigenous communities and individuals in four key areas:
- Relationship Building – We get to know our neighbors by listening and creating meaningful relationships with Indigenous communities and peoples in the areas we do business.
- Economic Opportunities and Partnerships – We develop business relationships and partnerships with Indigenous communities that result in collective success and shared value.
- Community Investment – We support organizations and initiatives that benefit local communities and promote Indigenous cultural wellness.
- Indigenous Employment – Through our business relationships and partnerships with Indigenous communities we recruit, train, and retain Indigenous talent into our company.
To meet our commitments to Indigenous communities and peoples:
- We respect the history, customs, beliefs, and traditional territory of Indigenous communities and are committed to environment stewardship.
- We recognize the unique legal and constitutional rights of Indigenous peoples in Canada.
- We act with integrity and are committed to increasing Indigenous participation in our business so that local Indigenous communities and peoples can create shared success.
- We promote an inclusive corporate culture in order to recruit, train, and retain Indigenous talent into our workforce. CDN Controls is committed to achieving a workforce that is representative of the available qualified Indigenous peoples in the labour market.
How We Succeed
This Policy Statement provides a consistent approach and defines our commitments towards Indigenous communities and peoples. At CDN Controls we ensure all of our employees and contractors are committed to the application of this document. We do this by explaining the purpose of our Indigenous Policy Statement as well as the positive impact relationships with Indigenous communities has on our business to all those who work for us.
To implement our Indigenous Policy Statement, we have developed an Indigenous Relations and Engagement Policy Guide to assist with our business decisions, educate our employees, and meet our collective vision. We succeed because we have fostered an inclusive corporate culture, dedicated the necessary resources, and developed the right strategies to meet our commitments to Indigenous communities and peoples.
As part of our overall strategy we establish ambitious objectives on an ongoing basis which are tied to the implementation of our Indigenous Policy Statement. These objectives are accompanied by Key Performance Indicators so we can measure our success throughout each year. We measure our performance in four areas:
- Cultural education and training for CDN Controls employees and contractors.
- Benefits for Indigenous communities in the areas we do business.
- Indigenous training and employment.
- Community engagement and investment.
To ensure our Indigenous Policy Statement is relevant and appropriate, it is reviewed yearly with regular, objective reporting on our Key Performance Indicators provided to the CDN Controls Leadership team on a quarterly basis.
CDN Controls is committed to very high standards across all areas of our business. By developing an Indigenous Relations Policy Statement, CDN Controls has established a framework for our company to operate in an economically, environmentally, and socially responsible way within Indigenous traditional territories and communities across Western Canada.